Mazda RevItUp on Wind Tunnel...

To: <MazdaRevItUp2003@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Mazda RevItUp on Wind Tunnel...
From: Mike King <mapcomaps@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 08:17:13 -0400
I'll write more about the weekend when I have more time, but just wanted
everyone to be on the lookout for a blurb or two on Dave Despain's Wind
Tunnel show on Speed Channel over the next few days. I just sent over the
big press release and a couple pics for him to review and consider. Hey,
maybe it'll get a mention. Congrats again to Mark!

Mike King

--------------
P.S. Here is the press release I sent to Dave Despain. Mazda did a great job
on it.
--------------

CONNECTICUT9S MARK DADDIO CAPTURES INAUGURAL MAZDA REV IT UP NATIONAL
CHAMPIONSHIP

World9s Largest Performance Driving School and National Competition
Culminates with Dramatic Showdown Between Fierce Competitors--Only Seconds
Separates Finalists after 24 Runs

MONTEREY, Calif. - In the morning mists of Monterey, it came down to a
battle between The Alien, Superman and The Boy Wonder. By the time the
brilliant sun came out, Mark Daddio (The Alien) from Beacon Falls, CT, drove
his way to the first Mazda Rev It Upd National Championship with a stoic and
brilliant consistency that has earned him a nickname that reflects his
otherworldly driving skills on America9s autocross courses.

Daddio, 37, who won Mazda Rev It Up9s Washington DC event to earn his way to
the finals at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, outlasted 19 other winners and
wildcards. But in the end, only seconds and hundredths of seconds separated
him after 24 timed runs on the tough Mazda Rev It Up course from second
place finisher Michael 3Superman2 King, 31, of Jacksonville, FL, and G.J.
3The Boy Wonder2 Dixon, 27, of Scarsdale, NY.

King, who traveled all the way from Florida to win the Minneapolis stop on
the Mazda Rev It Up Tour, earned his nickname initially for his great
come-from-behind performances in autocross events and took to wearing a
Superman t-shirt. Unlike Daddio and King, proven winners in the sport,
Dixon, who captured the last city title for Mazda Rev It Up in New York, is
a relative newcomer with no national accolades. His NY win and his emergence
among the final three challengers was a complete surprise. He represented
the underdog or 3everyman2 who aspires to compete at the highest levels of
Mazda Rev It Up without the experience of some of the other city title
holders.

The Mazda Rev It Up National Finals tested the extraordinary car handling
skills of the 20 drivers by eliminating all variables but pure driver skill.
In SCCA autocross championships, drivers bring their own cars, enabling some
to have an edge because of their superior modified vehicles. At Mazda Rev It
Up, all competitors drive MAZDA6 Sport Sedans, identically prepared. At the
finals Sunday in Monterey, each driver had multiple runs in each of four
different cars, completely leveling the playing field. Each run was timed to
the thousandth of a second and points were deducted for hitting any of the
hundreds of orange cones on the course. The top cumulative score after three
elimination rounds produced the winner.

Daddio9s final time, 143.415, reflected his astonishing consistency on a
course that saw the best scores set in the 35-second range. He seldom ranged
above 36.500 and averaged in the mid-to-high 35s. His steely focus, which
produced his nickname, has long earned him the respect of his fellow
competitors and in fact, resulted in an impromptu show of homage as he
exited the car after winning the event. They humorously bowed to him in
unison, as would the subjects of a Mideastern potentate. It was Daddio9s
fierce determination to make it to the Mazda Rev It Up Finals that saw him
drive all night from Connecticut to Washington DC, take a one-hour catnap in
his car and then enter in time to competeand win--on the final day of the
Washington event.

But his score was not at the top of the incoming participants. That honor
went to Karter Bollmann of Texas City TX, who showed up at the Mazda Rev it
Up Nationals as the only competitor to beat Jason Hart, the professional
driver who set the pro index time at each of the eventsthe target time that
each of the participants tried to match in their competition runs. Certainly
no newcomer to autocross, Daddio, who owns an auto parts store, could never
be counted out. He holds 14 national SCCA autocross championships in various
classes. But King and Dixon also had their hearts set on the championship
and driving away with the top prize: a new MAZDA6 Sport Sedan.

In the end, the three finalists, who emerged at the top of a field of 22,000
competitors, put on a great show. The tension built as each ran his final
rounds. They all met the Mazda Rev It Up challenge, 3If You Think You9re a
Hot Driver, Prove It.2 However, it was Daddio9s strategy that prevailed, 3I
wanted to run good runs early and have them in the bank,2 he said. 3I
figured if I ran one safe time first on each round, I could go crazy on the
second one
I could push for a 35-second lap.2 His response to accepting the
keys to the prize on the victory stand: 3This is pretty cool!2 high praise
from an Alien.

The final scores:

Winner/City/Hometown/Final Score
Final Round

Mark Daddio    Washington, DC    Beacon Falls, CT    143.416
Michael King    Minneapolis, MN    Jacksonville, FL    144.574
G.J. Dixon    New York, NY    Scarsdale, NY    146.971
Semi Finalists
Mark Daddio    Washington, DC    Beacon Falls, CT
Michael King    Minneapolis, MN    Jacksonville, FL
G.J. Dixon    New York, NY    Scarsdale, NY
Erik Strelnieks    Charlotte, NC    Austin, TX
Matthew Braun    Chicago, IL    Farmington Hills, MI
Pat Salerno    Philadelphia, PA    Danbury, CT
Keith Casey    Boston, MA    Somerset, MA
Karter Bollmann    Houston, TX    Texas City, TX
Kyle Shields (wildcard)    Orange County, CA    Chula Vista, CA
Andrew Clark (wildcard)    San Francisco, CA    Monterey, CA
Remaining Top 20
Jordon Musser    St. Louis, MO    College Station, TX
Ted Drcar    Orange County, CA    San Diego, CA
Noel Esporo    San Francisco, CA    San Jose, CA
Steve Brolliar    Miami, FL    Melbourne, FL
Scott Lewis (wildcard)    Orange County, CA    Aliso Viejo, CA
Brian Matteucci    Dallas, TX    Katy, TX
Soebiantoro Soekamto    Los Angeles, CA    Beverly Hills, CA
James Rogerson (wildcard)    Houston, TX    Pearland, TX
Shane Lovely    Atlanta, GA    Hiltonhead, SC
Ryan Thompson (wildcard)    Atlanta, GA    Duluth, GA

About Mazda Rev It Up
Mazda Rev It Up toured 15 cities in the United States from March until early
August, offering automotive enthusiasts a chance to improve their driving
skills in an exciting and fun format. As part of the Mazda Rev It program,
participants attended in-car clinics taught by leading motorsports
personalities from NASCAR and Formula racing. They then tested the level of
their newly acquired skills on a timed-and-scored autocross course. The
course was set up to eliminate all variables, except pure driver skill. One
winner from each city was guaranteed a spot in the national finals. The next
top five non-winning scorers nationwide earned a wildcard seat and were
invited to Monterey.

Enthusiasts can check the www.MazdaRevItUp.com website to see the final
scores and to check for next year9s dates and cities.

Mazda North American Operations is responsible for the sales and marketing,
customer parts and services support of Mazda vehicles in the United States.
Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., MNAO has more than 700 dealerships
nationwide.

Editor9s Note:    To secure digital photography of the finals, please go to:
www.Media.MazdaRevItUp.com and click on Photo Gallery. Go to the market
specific section and select National Finals.

Additional Quotes from Finalists:

Mark Daddio:
3I believe it9s my focus and concentration that helped me win. I had
confidence with what I was doing. I just tried to make sure I had clean
runs, not hitting any cones.

3This is right up there was my top thrills. When you go to the SCCA
championships, you might have three or four top guys from around the
country. Mazda Rev It Up attracted 20 of the fastest. The competition was
incredible. You have to be at the top of your skills. I9m still in
disbelief.2

Michael King (who owns regional map publishing house):
3I was cautious as ever, staying off the cones. I kept shooting for those
35-second rounds, but somehow I knew The Alien was in some other realm
today. But then, I didn9t have on my lucky Superman t-shirt today either.2

3I couldn9t be more elated in my finish today. It9s just overwhelming to be
here with these guys at the top of the sport. I9m so flattered just to take
part in the Mazda Rev It Up national finals.2

GJ Dixon (an automotive technician):
3The highest I9ve ever made it was 9th place in a divisional championship. I
knew I was driving the wheels off my car, but I just wasn9t competitive
because other guys had better equipment. Here everyone is driving the same
vehicles. This kind of even competition is what I really like.2

3To finish third, I9m at a loss for words. I9m still thunderstruck that I
won the New York Mazda Rev It Up event. Just coming here is incredible. I
never would have believed I9d be one of the three finalists.2

Racing from the age of 16, he claims that he must have been born with a car
or steering wheel in his hand because he9s always loved cars and driving. A
Dale Earnhardt fan since the age of five, Dixon was a 3matchbox kid--as I
grew, the cars just got bigger.2