Subject: Re: ST tire logic

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: Re: ST tire logic
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:51:06 -0400
Mike,

You speak of Hoosiers as if they are the only tire around that is
successful. I suggest you look very closely at the results from last year
at Topeka. You'll notice first place went to Kumho in ASP, BSP and SM2
just to name a few. What happened to Hoosier domination in those classes?
If you add in any days that aren't in the hot sunlight or a bit on the
damp side, Hoosier radials are definitely NOT the tire of choice. I went
from first on a sunny Saturday to sixth on a wet Sunday at the first
SEDIV event this year because I elected to stay on Hoosier radials. I've
never driven an "R" tire that was as bad as them in the wet.

Obviously, Hoosier marketing loves the reputation their tires have in the
Solo2 community. Since racers are a "monkey see, monkey do" lot it is
easy to just mount Hoosiers and think you have the best tire. Now, the
Hoosier bias plies are/were a GREAT tire in most conditions.

Ben Thatcher
http://ApexBenefits.biz

From: "Mike Smith" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>

Well, Hoosier hasn't been "trumped" yet for the 'R' tire market. The
Kumhos
are cheaper (but not Falken cheaper) and are not as good, according to
most.

And, like I said, it assumes everyone plays fair with the treadwear
rating.
Hoosier could just stamp treadwear 140 on the A3S03 instead of bothering
make the ficticious S3S03...

Although, the spec-tire would resolve the treadwear rating problem, but I
think the howling on that decision would be heard for a LONG time.

Mike