Re: If I were King for a Day

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Re: If I were King for a Day
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:35:58 -0400
> Dang, I like that!

I will accept any nomination for "King" :)

But if you really do feel the idea has merit... letters to the SEB have
magic powers....

> I think the "Island" classes should go back to totally using the GCR
(with
> exceptions for things not needed in solo, like mirror requirements, etc.,
as
> once was done).

I have no opinion on how closely the "island" or "formula" classes should
follow the GCR; mostly because I don't drive one, and so I don't feel I
have the right to try and influence that decision without a good feel for
the pain involved.

Grant's First Law of Rules Writing: "Every change to the rules screws
somebody"
Collerary: "If you change the rules, you better have a damn good reason to
screw someone"

> The only thing I'd change would be in nomenclature for the progressive
> categories. I never liked "Street Prepared" because it was a two-word
name
> (with initials that also were the initials of two other categories) when
all
> the others were one-word. "Super Modified" has that same problem. Also,
> "Prepared" has (since SP was invented) always been the third level, not
the
> second. So: Stock > Altered > Prepared > Modified for the four levels.
And
> the "Island" classes get their own names much as you suggested.

There's a method to my madness Rocky :)

I chose the names I did specifically to invoke certain associations that
come along with them. When you say "Super Modified" to a NASCAR guy or an
NHRA guy, it invokes a certain mental picture.

Ditto "Formula 1", "Formula Grand National", "Formula GT" etc. When you
invoke names that shadow some of the great names of the past, it makes the
whole endevour seem that much more serious; gives it more weight.

But anyway, if we agree on STRUCTURE, and are just haggling over the finer
points of naming... well, that's a hell of an accomplishment, isn't it? :)

DG