Re: Yokohama A032R-S

To: gweston@lsil.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Yokohama A032R-S
From: dkyeung@juno.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 18:46:59 GMT
I'm surprised that it has been identified as legal for Nationals *this* year.
This tire has been available for many years in many sizes. The last time I used
some of these was about 4-5 years ago. They really aren't very competitive as
autox tires. My diluted recollection of them puts them slower than Toyo RA-1s.
These are likely better suited for track sessions. The large blocks are
effective at reducing tread squirm and also help increase thermal inertia
(tread stays warm a little longer) but ultimately, these tires aren't anywhere
near the level of Kumhos nor obviously Hoosiers. Not to say you couldn't be
competitive with them, but you would be at a disadvantage. However, if you're
looking for a tire that lasts longer than a 7 events, these will do that.
Lastly, I do remember them being *very noisy* on the pavement.

Dave Yeung
Houston Region