Numbers

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Numbers
From: "Andy Hollis" <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:13:53 -0500
Sounds like some good point/counterpoint going on here.  Keep it up.  Its
important that we deal with this once and move on.

Since the proposal went out without some of the rationale, I'll jump in and
point out a few of the things that we are trying to get away from.  This is
not a complete list by any means, but some that come to mind.

1) Use of a "1" that is different in either color or font or size from the
rest of the numbers.  This happens all the time.  People borrow a 1 from a
friend when they have a co-driver for a big event.  Timing and Scoring
and./or courseworkers can't tell whether its a one or a big stripe covering
up a 1.  Or they borrow some other digit to make a number for just that
event.  Again, you can't easily tell what was intended.

2) Use of a piece of tape to X out a digit, usually a 1.  Is it 1 or a piece
of tape Xing out a 1?  Many times, it is totally unclear.  The rules say
that only one set of numbers may be visible at a time.  Xing out a digit
with a thin piece of tape does not make it invisible.

3) Multiple class designations visible at once.  This is more of an issue
for non-metallic bodied cars that run multiple classes at Pro solos.  Since
magentics are not an option, they stick all the possible classes the car
runs on the body.  T&S should know what class is running after all, right?
Sure, but when you are blindly typing info into a computer its much better
if its obvious.  Especially when you only have 15 seconds to get it right
the first time.  Covering up the irrelevant classes with low-tack
body-colored panel is much more effective.  And its the only legal way to do
it.  Leaving multiple classes visible is also against the rules.

4) Numbers that are not adjacent to class letters.  For example, number on
the door, class letters on the back quarter panel , three feet away.  Add to
that some sponsor id and it becomes nightmare for a corner worker to find
the # and class when the car goes for maybe four seconds.

5) Spelled out class letters.  While I know this is a fashion statement for
certain classes, its really hard to discern between Street Touring and
Street Modified when the letters are so small.  Add in something like D
Street Prepared, all of which could be running in the same heat, and you
have the makings of a mess.

6) Reflective material.  Let's face it, chrome may look cool, but by
definition it is anything but a single color, thus it provides constantly
varying contrast.  Depends on the time of day, weather, surface color, etc.

The goal is to make it easy for T&S and course workers to figure out clearly
what the car number and class is, in the several second window that they
have as a car speeds by.  The proposal gets that done, we believe, even
though it may have restrictive downsides.  But its better to be a bit
restrictive in this case, in order to make protect competitors from their
own shortsighted creativity.  And none of this makes your car any slower!!

Let me also say that the intent of all of this is to get the job done
effectively while still remaining member-friendly.  No one is trying to piss
anyone off.  But we've been too lax for too long now and let too much slip
by.  With the advent of cheap computer controlled vinyl cutters, everyone
and their mother is becoming a graphics designer.  Cars are rolling
billboards of creativity.  But id that blends into that scenery fails to do
its job.

--Andy, Frustrated Timing Captain - Nats 2002, SEB member