Re: STS Rules Question

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>,
Subject: Re: STS Rules Question
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:45:07 -0600
> Legality?  Sure, it's the same size as OE but 1/6th the price as allowed by
> the rules.  $55 at Jegs for a Dynomax cat versus $320 for an OE unit.  The
> fact that it offers claims of better flow are irrelevant as the item's
> packaging is not in question.   By being the same size & type* and in the
> same location as stock it has met the rules 100%.
>
> *I read "type" as two-way, three-way, air inlet type, etc.

Uh, Eric your starting to sound like one of dem dare lawyers.  You can read
it anyway you like.  "Type" means not only exterior physical appearance,
size, and configuration but also it's performence envelope.  Not *engine*
performance of course, the performance of the object itself.  Do you think
they make these things without a flow rating?  Just find out what that is,
and buy a unit with the same flow rating.  Simple.

> (Of course, having
> > properly done your research, the Cat in question will not be high
> > performance, but an OEM equivalent....right?)
> =======================================
> Oh, of course not.  And it'll be impossible to prove otherwise.

See above.  One that has a different flow rating is not the same type...it
is a higher flow cat.  Maybe there's some other measure of performance, but
I imagine flow in CFM is probably the most obviuos performance modifier.
Call the manufacturer, get a flow rating in CFM.  What's the difficulty?

Having said all this, I doubt it's a real issue for most.   If it was
protested however, your version of meeting the rules may not hold water, but
hey...give her a go.  The intent of the rule is clear to me.  An OEM
equivalant, *including OEM equivalant performance*, is allowed.  You are the
one who will be asked to prove it though.  Or, just throw the box away!  ;)

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer
Wausau, WI