Re: Anti-sway bar choices

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anti-sway bar choices
From: "Andy Hollis" <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:38:37 -0600
From: PbPied@aol.com

>I hope we get some replies from hard-core VW competitors as to the
>whys and hows.  All I can do is tell you that I have seen it work quite
>nicely, and speculate on what the dynamics are....  but you would not
>want to hear that last part!  ;-)

Yes, I was a "hardcore VW" guy during part of my formative years (84 GTI).
Twas the first new car that we purchased and, consequently, the first one
that we were really competitive in.  Its amazing how driving junk for years
can actually teach you how to drive well.

The rationale on the big front bar is quite simple.  These cars have severe
body roll in stock form, which gives horrid camber change during cornering.
Reducing the body roll keeps the front tires flatter which actually
*increases* grip at the front in a turn.  Also, the reduced roll keeps the
inside rear tire on the ground more which increases grip at the back.  So,
win-win.

The other big wins were massive negative camber (2-3 degrees) and massive
toe-out (1/4"-3/8").  Properly setup cars looked broken when viewed from the
front.  :-)

--Andy "who pissed on many a cone, doggie-style."