RE: XM or Sirius?

To: "Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: XM or Sirius?
From: "Mark Chiles" <mark@markchiles.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 23:04:42 -0500
Mike,

Brenda and I have about six month's worth of experience in both, XM and
Sirius.  We have both systems in our Suburban.  Both are FM Modulated units
playing thru the OEM radio.  We started out trying out both systems to find
out which we liked better and found that we can't part with either.

The FM Modulated units kind of disappoint in the sound quality department,
but as long as you only have one FM modulated unit up at a time, it sounds
great.  And the lack of sound quality may be more of a function of the OEM
head unit in the Suburban.

Satellite Radio is fantastic for long trips, because you can listen to the
same stations where ever you go.

However, I am not sure whether either system will work in Canada, but they
worked flawlessly in Oscoda Michigan and points north.

Brenda did 3,500 miles in one week pulling the Mini behind the Suburban by
herself and credits the satellite radios for her being able to do it.

Although we tend to like the programming of Sirius better than XM, it comes
down to personal tastes.

Sirius has NPR (although no All Things Considered and no Morning Edition)
and Speed Channel (you can now 'hear' WRXs hit the trees) that XM does not.

XM has three comedy channels which are a hoot (one rather blue), a NASCAR
Channel, a Playboy Channel (I have no idea?)

Sirius advertises that they are 'commercial free', which is not totally
true.  Sirius has commercials advertising programs on other Sirius channels.

XM has many 'commercial free' channels, but XM disc jockeys seemed to talk
between songs more than Sirius disc jockeys.

Both Sirius and XM have commercials on those channels that are TV channel
simulcasts.

Downsides: your roof mounted antenna must have line of sight to the
satellites, you lose stations in parking garages and momentarily in some
mountainous areas, and sometimes getting gas underneath gas pump roofs.  You
can not listen to your satellite radio parked in your car in your garage.

However, the technology of the satellite radios is that as dead spots are
found the satellite systems are putting up terrestrial repeaters to
eliminate dead spots.

It is great technology and programming is constantly changing.  I can't see
buying any new cars in the future with out one or the other system OEM.

You can listen to sample or live programming at their repective websites.
www.xmradio.com and www.sirius.com

The reason there is so much written about the 'demise' of the satellite
radio companies is because their accounting firms are actually doing their
job by disclosing potential long term financing issues that are normal in
any startup.  I feel that the large automotive and aerospace deep-pocket
companies behind the systems will make sure they continue into the future.

We believe that both companies are sound financially to the point where we
have bought stock in both.

This is the perfect product for the autocrosser that spends alot of time on
the road.

Mark

P.S. Have Circuit City or Best Buy install one before your trip.  And if it
doesn't work out in Canada and/or you don't like it, return it after
Christmas.