Re: helmets

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: helmets
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <pullg@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 00:04:33 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <Karlmcw@aol.com>

> I am in the market for a new helmet.  What specs should I consider?
Snell,
> Dot, Moto?

Snell rating -- every other rating on the helmet is just window dressing.  A
ping-pong ball with a chin strap will meet DOT regulations....  Snell M
(motorcycle) acceptable for autocrossing within the SCCA and most other
clubs; SA (special applications = auto racing) is acceptable for everything.
The current standard is Snell 00 -- minimum SCCA for autocross is Snell 90;
Snell 95 gets you into everything for at least another three years.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr