Re: [evolution-disc.] RE: FM Protests...again

To: "J. Brett Howell" <jbrett@pebblemotorsports.com>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] RE: FM Protests...again
From: GaryK <garyk98@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:33:09 -0500
At 06:39 PM 9/26/02 -0400, J. Brett Howell wrote:
>In advance, sorry Jean, but you may be asking me to leave your little
>dinner party when this is all said and done. No disrespect to you
>intended.

> >><Brett>
> >>Hmm.I missed your smiley, so I assume you are serious.
> >>
> >>I don't have time to explain why this insinuation is absurd, but I
>will
> >>point out to anyone who missed it that this is a clear example of the
> >>unfair treatment heaped upon anyone who dares to follow the rules and
> >>employ the protest process. This one is particularly below the belt
> >>considering the driving history of the person casting aspersions and
>the
> >>driving history of the person at whom I believe this is directed
>(Clint
> >>MacMahan).
> >
> ><Gary>
> >So, let me get this straight, if "Joe" ran at Nationals in 2000
> >and finished 12th out of 18 and in 2001 finished 14th out of 21,
> >but finished 4th out of 26 in 2002, he had to have been cheating
> >to do that well? Based on what you said about his driving
> >history, he should not be able to that well and trophy. Right?...
>
>I have no idea what you are talking about. I never said any such thing.
>
><mAs mode on>
>Perhaps it would have been more sportsmanlike of you to approach me
>privately before making your post to make sure that you and I had a
>common understanding of the quote in question...
><mAs mode off>

That's my point. It would be more sportsmanlike to be approached beforehand.

<Major SNIP>

It all boils down to the following:

2 of the cars that were protested were found illegal for the length of the
exhaust past the rear axle. The ruling has no basis on whether or not there
was a performance benefit.

The car that was protested on width was found legal.  There was no gift
given by the P.C. as has been hinted at.

Do they have the right to protest?  Yes.  Everyone does.

Do they have to tell anyone they are going to protest?  No.

Am I relying on someone to tell me my car is legal or illegal?  No.  And no
one else should either.

My point from the start of this thread was based on how it was done.  He
stated that he protested these cars for the well being and growth of the
class.  He protested because of the rampant bending and breaking of the
rules by numerous cars that he saw.  Fine.  But instead of going up to that
person and telling them what he saw that was illegal, he said your car is
illegal, fix it or be protested, a year or so earlier to a few of them.  If
your doing it to improve the class and make every one legal, then why tell
me that, if you aren't going to tell me what you see?

If it was me, I would have gone up to the person and told them what I saw
and hopefully he would have fixed it or showed me that it was legal.  If it
didn't get fixed or was still illegal in my opinion, then as a last resort,
I will protest. To me, that is how you improve and grow the class.

But, that's just me.

Gary Kramar
'89 FM F440