RE: Stock class steering wheels

To: Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stock class steering wheels
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:00:38 -0400
Thanks, Rocky.  I guess that kind of makes sense.  But I don't see the
problem with replacing an airbag steering wheel with another airbag steering
wheel from another model year.  Let's say that I had a 1990 model car with
an old ratty leather steering wheel, or maybe my airbag deployed, and I
found a used '95 model steering wheel & airbag for $100.  Can't find a used
'90 steering wheel in good shape, and a new one from a dealer is $1,387.  Or
let's say I have an older Miata but I really love the look of the newer
Miata Nardi steering wheels.  Even if the Nardi wheel is a little smaller
diameter, if it is within 1" then it gives no more advantage than what the
non-airbag cars get and no advantage over the '99+ Miatas.

How about:
"Alternate steering wheels are allowed, provided the outside diameter is not
changed by more than one inch from the standard size.  Steering wheels with
an
integral airbag may not be replaced with a non-airbag steering wheel."

Or make it even more restrictive and say that steering wheels with an
integral airbag may only be replaced with an integral airbag steering wheel
from the same make and model of car.  This would allow early Miatas to
install the later Nardi wheels, or M3's to install the later 3-spoke wheels,
or Integras to install the Type-R steering wheel, or MR2s to install the
nicer  '94+ steering wheel.  It's really just a cosmetic upgrade, and might
be worth a rule change now that some of the steering wheels/airbags from the
80's and early '90's are getting pretty old.

Just wondering what others thought about this.
Brad