RE: Falken Azenis (kinda long?)

To: "Clemens Burger" <burgerc@iquest.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Falken Azenis (kinda long?)
From: "Brandon Fetch" <getfetch1@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 01:02:09 -0500
Clemens,
Not certain who else might have already responded, but let me put my $.02
in. :-)

I drive a Neon. (don't laugh, please)  Have run Eagle RS-A(OEM) &
Aquatreads, Yokohama AVSi's, Dunlop SP8000s, and my current tire is the
Azenis in 195/60/14 size. (again, please don't laugh as I haven't upsized my
wheel/tire combo yet :-)  I've put nearly 150k miles on Neon's and their
factory size rims over the past six years.

>From all of the above tires, I'd say the Azenis' are by far the best
value/performance ratio tire.

The most recent issue of Grassroots Motorsports
(http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com) has a very nice race/street comparo
between 8 different tires in the 205/50/15 on, whatayaknow, a Neon!  I won't
tell you the conclusion, but unless you like spending money, there's a
nearly equivalent street tire for about half the price.  :-)

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Azenis tires.  Their 'heavy rain'
performance is definitely wanting, but if you do your best to 'dodge' the
puddles, you should have to worry much about hydroplaning.  (This along with
prudent speeds during inclement weather as well of course.)

Once these wear out, I'll definitely be purchasing another set.  Besides,
where else can you purchase four new tires, have them shipped to you, for a
nice tidy sum of $217+/-?  (http://www.onlinetires.com)

Another potential option is the Discount Tire 'branded' line of tires.  I
purchased a set of 205/55/16 Phantom ZX (manuf. by Michelin) for my  wife's
New Beetle and have been pretty pleased with them.  They remind me of the
Yoko AVSi's but with a better wearing compound.  (My AVSi's were gone in
18k-20k miles)  Kinda noisy at low-moderate speed but a good all around tire
nevertheless.

Hope this helps!

Brandon (long winded and opinionated) Fetch
'99 Neon R/T
**DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation with the above companies.  :)
**DISCLAIMER: I've had a subscription to GRM for a few years. (Thanks Per)
**DISCLAIMER: I've bought tires from OnlineTires.com so I think I can safely
recommend them.