Re: Rotors and efficiency

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rotors and efficiency
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:58:56 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "eric salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
To: "eric salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>; "Mark Sirota" <mark@sirota.org>;
"eric salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Cc: <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>; <Smokerbros@aol.com>;
<autox@autox.team.net>; <ThoughtBoxLabs@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 10:25 AM
Subject: Rotors and efficiency

> Another way to look at it:
>
> In an autox all we need are brakes that can predictably stop at the limit
for 70 second run. Thus for most cars cooling isn't an issue. My FP 911 has
the smallest rotors and calipers Porsche ever put on a 911 and they work
just fine rain or shine.

Exactly!

If all you do with a car is autocross it, you can get by with the stock
brakes and pads.  Or, if you run SP, you can use the smallest brake package.

I have stock brakes with Metal Masters on my Miata.  Although I like the
Metal Masters for hard street driving (not that I would ever do such a thing
;), they are probably not optimal for autocrossing as they require a little
heat to work their best.  Mind you, this "little heat" isn't as much as a
full race pad.

The idea of slotted/drilled rotors has never crossed my mind.

Scot