Evolution SEDiv - Saturday

To: TeamZ06@aol.com,
Subject: Evolution SEDiv - Saturday
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 04:21:58 EDT
A total of 146 drivers braved weather forecasts of heavy liquid sunshine to
compete at this weekend's Evolution SEDiv Solo2 event at Gainesville Raceway
in northern Florida.  The Central Florida Region did a great job getting the
event site & equipment ready to go.  As was expected, the late entrant
check-in at the site resulted in a delayed start of the event while the
work-run groups and grid sheets were established by the SEDiv staff.  No
sooner did we start to run when the skies opened up, creating some initial
timing glitches with a few reruns.  Otherwise, the event proceeded smoothly
enough through the in & out thunderstorm activity that after the completion
of the first two heats we were able to stop and have a relaxing lunch served
up by the GCAC chefs.

Everything was looking good up through most of third heat when reports of
possible tornado & lightning storm activity heading our way resulted in us
calling it a day for safety reasons.  As a result, the 3rd heat was called
as-is based on 2 runs only and the final heat did not get to run.  Perhaps we
were a bit too hasty in our call as no sooner had everyone packed up and
headed back to the hotel to get out of their wet clothes when the dark,
ominous clouds parted and the sun shined through for the first time all day.
Oh well, better to err on the side of safety than chance peoples lives.

With reports of more of the same on Sunday, it was decided to keep the course
unchanged for Sunday's runs to minimize the morning startup & event
conclusion.  The heat group that was unable to run on Saturday will be given
6 timed runs, with 3 runs counting as Saturday's times and the other three
for Sunday.  Everyone else will receive the usual three timed runs.

Mark Sipe
SEDiv Solo2 Steward