Re: National/Divisional event caps

To: bthatch@juno.com, evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: National/Divisional event caps
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:27:14 EDT
In a message dated 6/13/02 11:00:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
bthatch@juno.com writes:

> Something needs to be done about the event caps at National and
> Divisional events. It's really great that the sport has grown to this
> point. This just underlines that something has to be done to accommodate
> all the interest. Here are some ideas:
>
> 1. Raise the entry fees (the demand side of the old supply and demand
> deal)

What about the people who are already complaining the growing elitist
financial nature of Solo2?  Aren't you one of those complaining about how the
sport keeps changing to favor the haves over the have-nots?  Or does that
only apply to car classification and not entry fees?  Some people think the
entry fee is too high as it is.

> 2. Have more events (the supply side of the old supply and demand deal)

Easily said, the realities of time, money and logistics involved are more
complicated that stating words, let alone adding in the requirements of site
availability, access, etc. needed for these formats.

> 3. Make the events more efficient.

Even if such opportunities exist, it's easier said than done for too many
reasons to list here.

> 4. Get some other organization(s) to compete with SCCA for this booming
> market share

Now that's an original idea (eye's rolling in head).  Still pushing that
angle after all these years, eh Ben?  I suspected that was the real
motivation behind this post.

> It looks like the ball is in SCCA's court on what to do (unless we'd like
> to form a new organization),

There it is, confirmation!

Ideas are nothing new.  Anyone can generate them.  Greatness doesn't come
from an idea, it comes from action.  It's easy to sit back and say "somebody
else should do this, and somebody else should do that" when you never have to
face the realities of the situations being faced by the somebody else's.

I can't speak for the other divisions, but the SEDiv Solo2 program is
administered by just two volunteer people with real lives and jobs outside of
Solo2.  One of the reasons I took over the SEDiv Steward position is because
nobody else was interested in stepping up to the plate.  I'm fortunate to
have somebody like Karl Rickert at my side making the same amount of
sacrifice, as well as the dedicated people who continually attend and help
out at the SEDiv events.  Otherwise the SEDiv Solo2 program would have folded
"again" because nobody else was willing to pickup the torch.  To some degree,
the Nationals folks are in a similar situation, not everyone is a paid,
full-time staff member.  I guess you could say we do this for our own selfish
reasons; it makes us feel good in our hearts to do our part in trying to help
other people enjoy the sport we love and hold dear.

If this is such a great concern to you, why aren't you getting directly
involved?  We don't need back-seat drivers, they are a dime a dozen.  We
desperately need those rare people willing to sacrifice themselves for the
benefit of the common good through positive action, not destructive
self-serving sniping.  Oh, that's right.  You turned down my offer a month or
so ago to let you become the SEDiv Solo2 Steward for 2003.  You've done a
great job participating in Atlanta on the regional level, but don't make the
mistake of thinking that you're now elevated to passing judgment on other
programs with which you've had little or no direct participation in
executing.

Just out of curiosity, when were the last divisional/national events you
attended?  By my recollection it was the Atlanta SEDivisional in Nov/2000 and
the Meridian National Tour in Feb/2001.  Not that your lack of recent
experience with either program really matters.  This is just your same old
move trying to root the seeds of potential discontent to push an anti-SCCA
agenda.  For those of you who haven't been around all that long, this dirty
little agenda comes crawling out of Ben's hole every couple of years.  Same
agenda; different day, but old news just the same.

Otherwise, this is all rather premature.  Having so many events cap out for
so many National/ProSolo events in the same year is a phenomenom new for
2002.  The SEDiv event at Gainesville is the first SEDiv event I know of to
ever to get a cap.  The SEDiv cap there is 175, at past SEDiv events we've
been lucky to get over 120 participants.  The first 2002 SEDiv event at Ft.
Myers set a new attendance record at 143.  BTW, aren't those are the same
events you complained about their location and inability to generate
participation?  This level of competitor turnout is new to us.  Something
must be right somewhere for so many people to want to attend.  Maybe we all
deserve to be spanked for not looking into our crystal balls and forecasting
a major increase in participation for 2002.

It takes time to respond and address this new level of participation which
only occurred this year, but that level of logic and understanding doesn't
fit into your agenda, does it?  Then again, what do I know?  I've only
attended 3 National Tour, 4 Pro Solo, and 1 SEDiv event so far this year.

Mark Sipe