Re: ax-digest V1 #887

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ax-digest V1 #887
From: EGangloff@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:24:12 EDT
<>

Only an option package?  I still don't understand why the standard C5 and the
Z06 are in the same class.  A '98 C5 has 60 fewer horses, 50 fewer lb-ft of
torque, one inch narrower wheels, less maximum possible neg. camber (1.5 vs.
over 2 possible degrees), and a less taught and less balanced suspension.  As
if that isn't enough, thanks to thinner window glass, a titanium exhaust,
smaller stereo speakers, less sound insulation, etc.--the Z06 is also
considerably lighter.  If a standard C5 owner were at least allowed to use
the 1" wider Z06 wheels (allowing use of the grippier 305/30-18 Hoosiers vs.
the best standard C5 option of 275/35-18 Hoosiers in back) I could see an
argument that the cars should be classed together.  As it stands, a typical
Z06 is reputed by most in the Super Stock community to be at least 1S faster
in a 60S autocross than a standard C5 with the same driver.  Having driven an
'02 Z06 in both an autocross and on the track at Thunderhill, I think this is
conservative.

Is the SEB considering reclassing the standard C5 Corvette into AS?  It has
about the same chance of matching a Z06's time as the standard Boxster does
of matching a Boxster S's time with equal drivers.

-Eric G, #21 SS and Assistant SCCA RE in Reno, NV