New Tire Rules reply

To: Teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>, NER Solo postings
Subject: New Tire Rules reply
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 19:42:38 -0400
Hoosier's web page about the new regulations have hit quite a few
auto lists. I forwarded a piece from Automotive News, and Jeff
Kramer from the 911 list had this reply. It is an interesting
perspective.

Matt Murray

mattm@optonline.net

Jeff Kramer wrote:
Matt,

I have a little insight to this issue.  After the Firestone tire
problems,
the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) contracted with my
company to
investigate the central database which tracks manufacturer
defects.  The
system is called DIMS, Defect Information Management System which
is
operated by NHSTA.

What we uncovered in the investigation was disturbing at best.
It was not
an information management system at all but a huge dumping ground
for
vehicle complaints, from A-Z and yes the Firestone complaints
were all in
there...except nothing was being done because nobody knew they
were there or
how to get them out.  Every rule for database management was
being broken.
People work around the database to do their jobs it was so bad.
Data comes
from everywhere, even consumers on the web to input complaints.

The system should have alerted someone to the high number of tire
complaints
in advance of needless deaths, some type of early warning system
keyed off
of tires, blowouts etc.  Most of the hardcore data was simply
stored in text
fields, so an investigator would have to read large amounts of
data to get
to the real problems.  What we also found is that they have about
30 minutes
to investigate each defect before having to move on to the next,
as they are
so overwhelmed.

Sure the Firestone tires were bad and there were defects, but the
problem
stems more from a lack of solid investigation and reliable facts
and
information.  NHSTA investigators that research each complaint
are
overworked, understaffed etc.  Not an excuse but one of many
causes to the
problems.

Information gathering and management is key to this problem, not
necessarily
stricter regulations across the board.  The TREAD act will
generate a tone
of regulations...some needed, most are not.  It is an
over-reaction to
public outcry.

In addition, I experienced a Firestone tire blow out on my
vacation in Death
Valley a couple of summers ago myself just before I worked on the
NHSTA
project.  A Chevy Suburban on Firestone Wilderness AT's laden
with three
guys and tons of gear, air temperature was around 120, no telling
what the
road temperature was, I was doing about 85mph.  The right front
tire let go,
nothing dramatic...we just started slowing down.  The tire had
basically
disintegrated...never seen anything like it.  We got a
replacement at NTB in
Vegas, the guys says "yeah that is like the 4th or 5th tire we
have seen
like that this week, same number last week"  Duh...any red flags
get set off
here????  Do you think the tire jockey's at NTB reported that to
NHSTA?
Not.  This is what I am talking about there needs to be better
methods of
gathering solid, reliable, data from reputable sources that see
problems and
defects first hand.

Anyway, the point is that was an extreme case...that is where
they were
actually testing other vehicles all around us.  Most consumers do
not put
tires through that type of punishment.

-Jeff Kramer (too much coffee this morning ;-) )
nolift911@hotmail.com

>Our favorite tire companies might not be alone in the new tire
>rules. This is from Automotive News.
>
>http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=2377
>
>Matt Murray
>
>mattm@optonline.net
>203-856-3703
>mattmurray@weichert.com
>203-226-5100
>

>One in three tires might fail new U.S. rules
>
>Reuters / May 29, 2002
>
>DETROIT -- About a third of the 287 million passenger car and
>truck tires sold in the United States every year might fail new
>standards spurred by the Firestone tire crisis, according to
U.S.
>auto safety regulators.
>
>The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says
that
>while some tires would have to be redesigned, the new rules
could
>save 27 lives and prevent 667 injuries a year from crashes
caused
>by blowouts or other tire failures. It also estimates the
>standards would cost the tire industry $282 million annually.
>
>Tire makers contend the rules are unnecessarily severe and would
>cost the industry far more than NHTSA estimates. The agency had
>June 1 deadline for a final decision. But the debate has pushed
>the deadline back indefinitely -- one of a number of delays the
>agency faces in putting new safety rules in place.
>
>"We agree with NHTSA that tire tests need to be updated," said
>Dan Zielinski, spokesman for the Rubber Manufacturers
>Association. "We just think they need to be more reflective of
>real-world conditions."
>
>The 271 deaths and more than 800 injuries linked to tread
>separation and other failures of tires made by Bridgestone
>Corp.'s <5108.T> Firestone unit, mostly on Ford Explorer sport
>utility vehicles, spurred Congress to order a rewrite of federal
>tire standards that have not changed since 1967.
>
>The Firestone tires were found to have manufacturing defects
that
>left them susceptible to losing their tread, especially at high
>temperatures.
>
>Most of the accidents happened in hotter southern states. For a
>decade, Ford Motor Co. recommended a tire pressure for the
>Explorer that Firestone later said was too low, which also
>increased the heat in the tires.
>
>STANDING THE HEAT
>
>While data on tire-related crashes is sketchy, NHTSA estimates
>that about 414 deaths and 10,275 injuries a year might be caused
>by failing tires. NHTSA's research also found that heat is a
>common factor in all tire failures, with the highest rate of
>accidents in southern states during summer months.
>
>Two of the new tests would simply be tougher versions of current
>measures, such as doubling the length of the endurance test to
>3,278 miles.
>
>Congress also required NHTSA to order all new vehicles to come
>with a tire-pressure monitor. But since many owners will not
>check their tire pressures until the monitor goes off, the
agency
>wants tires to perform for a short time at low inflation levels
>to ensure an extra margin of safety.
>
>One proposed test would take the tires from the endurance test
>and run them under-inflated for 90 minutes at speeds topping out
>at 99 miles per hour.
>
>All the new standards combined would flunk about 33 percent of
>current tires, according to limited tests conducted by NHTSA. It
>also warned that its tests found wide differences in the
>performance of tires that should have been identical.
>
>"In several of the tire models we tested, four of the five tires
>of a specific model passed the test, but the fifth tire failed,"
>the agency said.
>
>The Rubber Manufacturers Association has also proposed less
>stringent tests that NHTSA says all modern tires would likely
>pass.
>
>"They have certainly suggested a range of very stringent, and
>probably overly stringent, tests," said Rubber Manufacturers
>Association's Zielinski of NHTSA. "But they've never presented
>any concern there are unsafe tires out there that need to be
>eliminated from the market."
>
>'GROSSLY UNDERFUNDED'
>
>Safety advocates and the lobbying group that represents
>automakers are still studying the rules.
>
>Joan Claybrook, the president of Public Citizen and former NHTSA
>chief, says the agency is "grossly underfunded" to handle its
>expanded duties and that the tire standards may be the toughest
>rules to consider.
>
>"Of all the requirements, they're the hardest to find the
>benefits for," she said. "It's hard to isolate that (tires) are
>the cause of an accident. The industry always blames the
>consumer, which is the whole purpose of the (tire pressure)
>monitor."
>
>Claybrook has strongly criticized President George W. Bush's
>administration for its delay of the tire-monitor rules. Earlier
>this year, the White House's budget office told the NHTSA to
>revamp its proposal, saying it could discourage anti-lock brakes
>and would cost the industry more than other alternatives.
>
>As to whether the White House would reject new tire standards,
>Claybrook said; "I think if the tire industry doesn't like what
>NHTSA is doing, the answer is 'Yes.'"
>
>Copyright 2002 Reuters Limited.

-Jeff
nolift911@hotmail.com