Oil Filters (was Re: Synthetic oil)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Filters (was Re: Synthetic oil)
From: Jeff Brown <typer_801@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 17:00:21 -0700 (PDT)
Check out this URL.  You'll be suprised to see the
quality of the typcial over the counter filters you
can buy and it will likely change your buying habits.

For instance, I no longer buy Mobil1 oil filters.
Why?  Because STP and Bosch are nearly identical and
half as much.  It also caused me to quit using the OEM
Honda's I actually thought were better too.  Check it
out, it's very educational.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

And fwiw-M1 burns rather easily in Type R's.  I
switched to Valvoline Synthetic this oil change and my
oil consumption has dropped considerably.....

Regards,
Jeff Brown
98 Type R - STX/DS

From: John Galligan <galligan@gulftel.com>

I use M1 exclusively in my Autox/Street car, and
Valvoline in my wife's street car, and am very happy
with performance of both (the cars, not my wife}.
However; when i am counting pennies, i sometimes can
not afford a M1 filter also, so must use a "regular"
filter. Am i destroying the benefits of using M1 by
using a cheap filter?  In such cases should i
just use regular oil, wait until i can afford both, or
just do what i have been doing, M1 with regular
filter?  How important is the filter in this case?  I
change oil in both cars every 3 months or 3000.

John

=====
Jeff Brown
98 Type R #801