Re: 10 Year Rule

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 10 Year Rule
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 06:57:09 -0400
Okay, folks, deep breath time.

Dave Schotz, fun-loving whacky guy that he is, threw something out onto
Team.Net that got **EVERYONE** up in arms.

Dave Schotz isn't on the Solo Events Board.  Dave Schotz isn't on the Stock
Activity Committee.  Dave Schotz isn't employed by SCCA as part of the
National Staff.

Which means... he has exactly the same chance of getting something enacted
that I, and most of the list members -- all those who aren't on the
SEB/SAC/SPAC/PAC/MAC/STAC/SMAC/SSC, and there are a lot more of us who
aren't than there are who are -- do.  If Dave Schotz was really serious
about this, he'd have written a letter to the SEB and SCAC.  If those
erstwhile bodies didn't reject said idea out of hand -- and I think I know
a fair number of the SEB members well enough to think that rejecting such a
"sunset" rule for Stock Category is *precisely* what they'd do -- without
even needing to send it out for member comment -- it would have gone to the
appropriate committee who would either then reject it themselves (likely),
or throw it out for member comment, whereupon the rest of us would have a
chance to tell the committee and the SEB that it's daft, and our reasons
for thinking so, in a polite, gentle way via an e-mail to seb@scca.org, and
it would then die.  Our representatives on the SEB have a pretty good
amount of common sense, and remember that they're our fellow competitors,
too.

So take a deep breath, relax, and maybe go out and check the tire pressure
on that ol' toy car in the garage to make sure it'll be ready for its
playtime this weekend.  Synchronize your SUs.  Gap the points and set the
dwell.  Check the ash frame of your bodywork for signs of rot or carpenter
ants.  Get out the Simichrome and polish the clear parts of your side
curtains and the rear window of the ragtop to keep them clear.  Adjust
valve lash.  Grease the kingpin bushings.

Particularly for those of you who have not had the privilege of meeting
Dave Schotz in person, there's nothing even remotely sinister about him.
Really!  If you've ever met Dave, you'll know he doesn't have a single mean
bone in his body.  Truly a guy who goes through life figuring everyone is
his friend and behaving accordingly.  He's a little like a big ol' Great
Dane -- big, powerful, friendly, who sometimes forgets his own strength and
bowls you over trying to say hi.

I'm pretty sure he had no idea his little "toss out" idea -- posted at
least half in jest -- would ignite such a firestorm.

Jim Crider
#65 ESP '99 Mustang Cobra
'65 Mustang coupe -- eventual street-legal CP/SM car

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.