Re: Classification for BMW 325es?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Classification for BMW 325es?
From: Randy Walters <randylwalters@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:45:36 -0800
Ed Koffeman <edk@kinetric.com> wrote:

>Subject: Classification for BMW 325es?
>OK, rule mavens and E30 BMWers:
>The 2002 GS line says "325E, eta engine"
>Does that mean "325e but not 325es" comma "All BMWs with ETA engine"?
>or "325e with ETA engine"
>
>So, does a 325es fall in GS or in DS ("3 series 6 cyl. sedans NOC")?
>Given that the "318is, i(1991)" is in GS it seems appropriate to class all 325e
>and 325es in GS as well, but it doesn't seem to be explicitly stated.
>Or, is the 325es seen as being simply a 325e with the Sport package option?
>There were apparently also some plain 325 models with no letters that I think
>had the ETA engine, so the first interpretation above would include them, but
>the second would not.  In that case, it would seem silly to put them in DS.
>Does anybody know this stuff?

And also....

>So, to recap:
>The line BMW "325e, ETA engine" should be interpreted as:
>BMW "325 (all with ETA engine)" e.g.  BMW 325, 325e, 325es
>Anyone think that isn't correct?
>
>Ed Koffeman

 The 325es was a stand-alone model in 1986 and since it's not specifically
listed in the GS grouping i'm sure it falls into DS since it's NOC.  Since they
list the 91 318is and 318i specifically together on the same line,  i'd assume
that if they intended the 325es to be grouped along with the 325e they'd list
them together as well.  But since they don't, it's NOC.  It's already understood
among the guys on the E30 mailing list and message board that the 87-90
325i and 325is are NOC and therefore falls into DS for 2002 and i can't see
why the 325es would be any different.  It's limited slip diff, larger swaybars,
and bolstered sport seats make it a much better Stock Class autocrosser than
a regular 325e so it stands to reason that it'll be in the "faster" class than
the
325e.  Of the E30 models that they do list they do so very specifically,  so
that
leaves the 325i, 325is, and 325 ('88 with the Super ETA engine) as NOC'd and
puts em in DS by omission.

Randy
89 325is DSP (can't even run STX because of the factory LSD)

http://home.earthlink.net/~randylwalters/
http://community.webshots.com/user/randywalters

: