Re: Was: Where's the disc - now Growing Solo

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Was: Where's the disc - now Growing Solo
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:03:02 -0800
Pat-

Does SFR have practice type events?  That's the latest controversy in Cal
Club, with only 80 spots available, its the toughest ticket in town.  How
can you make entries to such limited events fair?

So far we're able to handle the crunch of our championship crowd in Cal
Club.  But, January was a warning sign.  270 people on a cold a dreary day
in SoCal (excellent weather for most of the country, but a definite stay at
home day for LA).  By midday it was pouring rain.  Still the crowd hung on
with enthusiasm.  We cut out X runs and I believe we also had to limit
additional entries past mid-morning to region members or SCCA cardholders.
First time I've ever seen that done here.  But with rain starting and a
things already running behind, it was very necessary.  What happens when the
weather turns nice?

We were headed to over 300 entry events last summer when word got out that
El Toro was pretty rough on tires.  Now that we are a little better off with
tire friendly lots and not using El Toro much, the crowds seem to be heading
back.  We charge visitors $15 more for championship events.  But our local
membership is only $20 (and $5 more additional members at the same address).
We don't require SCCA membership.

We've run summer events with turnouts in the mid 200's and still had lots of
fun runs at the end.  And we run pretty good length courses.  I'd say we're
fairly competent at handling crowds.  And Rick Brown's efforts to
computerize everything is streamlining the process even more.  I'm just not
sure we want to have 300-350 person events every month and that's where we
appear headed.  It's a lot of work and stress when numbers get that high.
And it's a bummer not to be able to run an a few fun runs or a second set
occasionally to test, experiment, and just plain get seat time.

Steve Ekstrand
#360 Cal Club