Re: Web domain names

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Web domain names
From: "Carl C." <cc@carlc.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:18:20 -0500
 > Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:44:41 -0500
> From: "fuhrmann@cpinternet.com" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
> Subject: Web domain names, was Re: NJ North Region Qs:
>
> That should be a good warning to everyone who registers a domain name for a
>group.  Make sure that you know when the name is up for renual and who is
>taking
>care of it.

Folks - As an ISP I can tell you, its important that you make EXTREMELY
sure that the BILLING contact is set to someone who's an officer of your club
(with a perm address). DO NOT RELY on the ISP for this. Its YOUR DOMAIN.
In fact, only allow the ISP to be the technical contact only! They can then make
any changes to the DNS servers (thats all they needed) with technical.

Also, if your thinking of spending the cheapest amount of money to register
a domain name, remember those companies can and do go out of business!
I had a client who's business was on eRegister and it was an absolute pain
to prove he owned it (and keep it registered to him).

> I suspect that a few of companies look for domains that are reasonably well
>placed on
>search engines and watch for the registration to expire.
>
> This person was lucky.  I know of one domain that accidently was up for grabs
>that
>turned into a porn address (even though the name could not be reasonably
>stretched to
>mean porn).

Thats thier way of attempting to force you to pay high amounts of money to get
it back.

> If someone else registers the address for you, make sure it is in your name
>and that
>you will get the renual notice.

The Administrative should be in your webmasters name, but again, I can not
stress
this enough, you MUST have the BILLING set to someone who's an officer of
your club with a permanent home address!

Oh, we do have plenty of videos in from our last even in December. Feel to look
at them at http://autox.carlc.com/ . In the Pictures, the 3 wheeling BSP vette
is
mine. Until I get that fixed (and a tow vehicle), that car's grounded.

Any questions, just ask,
Carl