Need advice on suspension/strut purchase

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Need advice on suspension/strut purchase
From: redraevyn@softhome.net
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:55:14 GMT
Hello all, I'm new to this list and have yet to autocross (although I'm
itching!), and my name is Greg =]

I picked up my car about 2 months ago.  The previous owner did mainly
highway driving, and was an enthusiast, so it has some modifications, but
they don't all suit my driving style.  It's a 1988 VW Jetta GTi (that's a
1.8L 16v DOHC inside) He rebuilt the engine and transmission replacing the
seals, put in a lightened flywheel has enlarged Euro spec cams, etcet
etcet.  The problem for me is that it has Neuspeed racing suspension all
around, and some really hard (Struts?)

He suggested I get some Sport suspension to make my ride better (right now
it's really rough - i do mainly backroads driving), but I don't understand
the works of suspension and such very well.  So what I want to know is,
what kind of equipment do I want to buy?  I was talking to my boss (I help
out a mechanic) and he thought I probably will be replacing the springs and
struts, but I'm still kind of lost.

The catch -  I really want to get into autocrossing, I love cars, and going
fast, and handling, etcetera.  And the current suspension setup let's my
car handle really, really, well.  But the racing suspension lowered 3
inches, which means I have very minimal ground clearance (that's my problem
- the roads aren't top notch and I find my wheels chirping on the wheel
wells on occassion), and the sport would give me an additional 1.5".

Ahh! =]

Thanks in advance,
~greg~