FM Transmitters & FCC research

To: "MS-SCCA" <ms-scca@yahoogroups.com>, "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: FM Transmitters & FCC research
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 02:33:43 -0600
Here's the info that I've gathered concerning low power FM transmitters and
the FCC:

>From http://www.fcc.gov/lpfm/ :
"The new LPFM service consists of two classes of LPFM radio stations with
maximum power levels of 10 watts and 100 watts. The 10 watt stations would
reach an area with a radius of between one and two miles, the 100 watt
stations would reach an area with a radius of approximately three and a half
miles. 100-watt stations will be authorized first."

Current Low Power FM status:
http://www.fcc.gov/mmb/asd/lpfm/
>From this page, previous applications have been made public (mostly churches
and schools) and petitions to deny are opened.  And, the most critical
thing:  "Dates for the next LPFM application filing window have not been
established at this time.  ... We cannot provide information or speculation
as to when the next application filing window might be opened."

Low Power FM FAQ:
http://www.fcc.gov/mmb/prd/lpfm/lpfmfaq.html

FCC Policy on low power broadcast stations:
http://www.fcc.gov/mmb/asd/lowpwr.html

Interesting reading on nighttime AM amplification by the Earth's ionosphere:
http://www.fcc.gov/mmb/asd/bickel/daytime.html

So, basically it's waiting to see when the FCC will open up another filing
window, and then the wait for the review and petition to deny process...
long and drawn out.

Brian

--
MS Region SCCA:  http://www.angelfire.com/ms2/scca/