Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: SP rules

Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: SP rules
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:11:35 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:
> > Not tryin' to ruffle anyone's feathers, but there are plenty of ways to
> > cheat in Stock, given enough effort, and I fail to see what makes shocks
>
> One of my big objections is that with today's sticky tires, we'll have a lot
> of cars on their lids with OE shocks.

Isn't there some middle ground between OEM and quad adjustable titanium
shocks that we can enforce?

For instance, how about approving particular manufacters off the shelf
shocks?  I.e. Koni, Tokico, Penske, etc.  By "off the shelf" I mean that
they must be valved to the "standard" specs for that car, which, if the
manufacturer doesn't have (Penske maybe?) the SCCA and the manufacturer
define (or the shock isn't legal).

Byron's idea of allowing shocks to be updated to any package for the car
where its a direct bolt in also seems decent.  I'd go further and say that
it should be indescriminate of model year as well.  For instance, a '95
neon with Arvins could put on the single adjustable Koni's from the '97 &
up models.

That brings up another interesting point... The OEM strut for the '97+
neon is a standard single adjustable Koni painted black and (depending on
model year) without the eccentric adjustment.  Back when I was racing
neons, the OEM strut price was something like $50 higher than the same
strut direct from Koni.  Would that sorta thing be legal?

Or, how about allowing the use of the OEM struts/shocks or an approved
alternate model of stut/shock.  The SCCA could team up with whoever and
allow particular models of shocks/struts to be run.

Like Byron, I see some problems with claimer rules.  However, like he
says, if your issue is cost, it gets directly to the root of the problem.
If you limit it so that you can only claim the shocks of the class winner
or maybe you can only claim:
* the shocks of someone that finished in the top third of the class
* and they must have beaten you
* and _you_ must have finished in the top 3rd of the class.

I dunno what solution I like best.  Part of the problem is that I've never
driven on the magic shocks and don't understand why a Koni (for instance)
can't be revalved to match their performance.

Don't the roadracing Showroom Stock folks deal with this?  How are they
doing it?

Mark