Re: Shocks and stock

To: "Glenn Duensing" <bluethunder@adelphia.net>,
Subject: Re: Shocks and stock
From: "Joe Goeke" <teamnet@hedlygoeke.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:51:18 -0800
> Change the rule to OEM type and watch Stock class die.
I don't think Stock class would die.  To many folks like it, and their are
to many good cars in stock form.
With that, I see two problems with OEM shock rule.
1)  A lot, if not most cars would have to be reclassed based on using OEM
shocks.  I've driven a lot of cars on both, and some benefit a lot more than
others from shock changes.  A huge can of worms that would take years to
sort out.
2)  As others have pointed out, their are real safety concerns with some
cars using sticky tires with stock shocks on some cars.  So now you have to
exclude certain cars in stock, or ban sticky tires, which now opens up yet
another can of worms and exclusion lists.

Racing is racing, and folks who take it seriously will always do what it
takes to win under the current rules.  More restrictions traditionally only
raises the cost of participation (i.e., see Showroom Stock for example).  If
you ask me, we need more "normally replaceable" allowances in stock, with
the clutch (not a lighter one) being the main one, which make no performance
gains.

As many have said, it all comes down to perception, and yes a well sorted
out car will drive better, and give you more confidence, but it doesn't
necessarily make it a faster car for you.
---JHG