Re: Stock Shock Rules rewrite?

To: "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Shock Rules rewrite?
From: "Dave Hardy" <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:35:20 +0200
> To find a solution to the problem we have to stop and think *why* are
> people going to these expensive shocks? Obviously it's to increase the
> roll stiffness of the car when you can't do so by swapping springs as
> you can in SP. A quick look at SP shows that high-zoot double-adjustable
> shocks are far less common there than in stock which suggests a solution:
>
> Make *springs* free in stock! By allowing people to switch to stiffer
> springs we allow them to make the same roll stiffness adjustment to the
> car for a far cheaper price ( a good set of Miata springs is less than
> $300 vs $3000-$5000 for a set of shocks). I know it sounds crazy but I
> think it might just work.
>
> Opinions? Feel free to flame away!

Wow, now that is thinking outside the box!  While it is getting even more
"non-stock", I think it would help keep costs down.  It would also allow
newbies with only a spring change not to have to be eaten alive in SP,
although STS also does a good job of this.  There would still be a benefit
to un-obtanium shocks, but it would be less.  An interesting idea that is at
least worth looking at.

Dave Hardy
89 SM