Re: Novice needs advice

To: "Glenn J. Koch" <glennjkoch@yahoo.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Novice needs advice
From: Scott Tengen <scott@tengen.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:06:15 -0500
Welcome to the fabulous world of Autocross with a Miata!!

I also have a 94 R, and started a few years back.

Here is what I have done... you choose what works best for you!

1. I went out and ran the car as is, that was fun.

1b DRIVE

2. k&n filter, not much here but everything helps the little NA

2b DRIVE

3. I then added a role bar, not required but it made me feel better,
and the car stiffer, I went with the harddog 4 point bar, scca legal

3b DRIVE

4. I added the cat back from Borla, a bit more power and sounds very nice.

4b DRIVE and DRIVE MORE

5. I ran a few times on stock tire, then went to Kumho Victor racers,
what a blast - traction!!

5b DRIVE!! , you see a trend here don't you...

That was the end of year one,

6. Put a 4 point harness in to glue me to the car, WOW a simple mod
that does help, several guys just do the lap belt...

7. My Wonder wife ordered a set of KONI Dampers ;)) Installed and
left at Stock R type posistion to remain in stock class

8. DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE

I am thinking of a front sway bar, but I might hold off on that for
awhile, just working the car and learning more... Gee I wish it was
warm here!!

I think a school would be a great idea.

I got tons of good info from the local drivers, but a school will
take you up faster. I have not done a school as of yet due to
conflicts of time, but hope to in 02.

Enjoy the Miata, it is a blast to autocross, to the point it is
boring to drive in straight lines on the street ;)

Have fun

Scott
#18 94 "R" Miata

--