Re: [Solo2Atlanta] Why most autocrossers don't want their sport

To: TeamZ06@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Solo2Atlanta] Why most autocrossers don't want their sport
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:22:30 -0500
Mark,

You have very eloquently voiced the majority opinion of the status quo in
SCCA Solo II. Once again, we disagree on a topic <grin>. Just remember,
if we don't think it can be done, it can't be done.

Zero interest on TV? Come on, Mark. Tractor pulls and monster truck
racing is more interesting than Solo II? They're still around and well
watched. I've heard about all kinds of interest in World Rally and SCCA
Pro Rally. I got my first chance to see them a couple weeks ago at our
daughter's place (I don't have Speedvision). There wasn't anything there
that couldn't be exceeded with a good production for Solo II, IMO. Yeah,
they jump and throw gravel and rocks around and the occasional crash.
Probably the most interesting aspect was the spectators standing on the
roadside as cars rocket by at 100+ mph (makes me wonder how SCCA
insurance allows that for rally but keeps us 75 feet away from our
courses).

You are correct to point out that the grand majority of autocrossers
aren't "serious" competitors. But, do you seriously believe that drag
racer or circle track demographics reflect a higher number of "serious"
competitors? However, what they have is a fan base interested in
following their sports. Why? Because the public sees them on TV and the
word is out where and when their events take place. As a side note, we
have an astounding number of people driving by, stopping to watch our
events in Atlanta. And they enjoy what they see.

Now, your point about autocrossing being concentrated in the population
centers around the country is also very correct. Now, why is that? Don't
you think a televised Solo II series would get more interest in some of
the smaller communities to start running some grassroots level events?
I'll bet there are a ton of sports car nuts in Montgomery who have zero
knowledge about Solo II and who would love to get involved if it were
made known to them. I think your argument there supports my concept.

Having said all this, I really don't expect to convince the autocross
audience on these lists. They are already having fun and are fearful that
the sport would be ruined by the exposure. Kind of a "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" mentality.

But you know me, I look at stuff differently and regularly get flamed for
the effort. I just wish I were independently wealthy so I could go out
and show y'all how this could work. I believe you'd be surprised.

Ben: still stirrin'