Re: Toe inches & degrees

To: Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net
Subject: Re: Toe inches & degrees
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 01:42:43 EST
In a message dated 12/1/01 12:11:27 AM Central Standard Time,
Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net writes:

> > The equation:
> >
> > Diameter * pi * toe in degrees/ 360
> >
> > has absolutely nothing to do with calculating toe measurements.
> >  Somebody is confused.
> >
> > Mark
>
> You're wrong, and if you weren't being snotty about it I'd offer to
> demonstrate.

It was no more my intention to be snotty than it was probably your intention
to call the kettle black.  The somebody confused could just as easily be me
as anybody else.

Using my equation:

tire diameter 25.6"
total toe measurement 3/8" ---> 3/16" per side

angle = arcsin [(0.5*0.375) / 25.6]
angle = 0.420 degrees

Using your equation with the units above:

Diameter * pi * toe in degrees/ 360
[25.6 * 3.142 * 0.42] / 360 = 0.094 or approx. 3/32"

Where did I go wrong?  The reason I don't understand your equation is because

[(diameter) * (pi)] = circumference

and I don't understand what the tire circumference has to do with calculating
a toe measurement.  It looks to me that this equation is calculating the
partial angular measurement of a treadface circumference.

[partial angle / 360] * circumference = partial circumference measurement for
a given angle

Mark