RE: Assigned run group

To: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop487@home.com>, "Ron Chapman"
Subject: RE: Assigned run group
From: "Randy Chase" <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:15:47 -0800
This applies to San Diego Region.

> No, we haven't tried that...is there anyone who shows up to work
> either the
> first or last heats? Or do you ask for volunteers?

In general, the first heat goes very quickly. This system worked okay when
we had smaller groups.

For example, if you ran in the 2nd group, and you had a lot of other things
to do that day (like coach soccer or take the family somewhere), you would
arrive early, sign up to work the 1st group, run the 2nd group, and then be
done by 10:30am and on your way home.

Consider a worker sign up sheet with a finite amount of spaces to sign up
on. Then a line of people trying to get signed up as early as possible. This
last huge event, showing up early as I normally would, was not early enough.
The first 3 runs groups were already fully signed up 8:10am (first car out
at 9:00am). Pretty soon, it did not matter if you ran in the 1st group, you
might be working in the 5th.

There are (IMO) some great advantages to having flexible work assignments,
but these may not be worth it when you are dealing with events of this size.
One advantage is not having to work when your signifigant other or children
are running. I can schedule the work group time so that I am free to help
instruct my daughter for example. It is also a help if I want to be able to
get creative as I have done in the past. If I have a soccer game at 11:00am
to coach, I can run at 9:00am, then come back and work in the afternoon. Set
workgroups will not allow this.

Oh well...the price of our sport's local popularity I guess. :-(

Randy Chase