RE: Front-Drive Tire sizes?

To: "'Brian Garfield'" <bgarfield@md.adelphia.net>,
Subject: RE: Front-Drive Tire sizes?
From: "Pitts, Ian" <Ian_Pitts@G1.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:25:46 -0500
Hey there Brian! You're the first 'local' I've seen on the list. (In case
you're wondering, I ran as #320 in an 81 Scirocco in FSP this season. Won
SCCA and MWCSCC Championships in my class. Woo Hoo!)

I haven't seen any cars run different size front tires, but that may be due
to monetary issues. It helps to be able to swap the fronts to the back and
vice-versa.

On our car, we set up the suspension to make the car handle the way we want,
instead of trying to compensate by adjusting tire sizes.. but I'm assuming
you're asking about a car in a stock class, where wild suspension setups
aren't allowed.

In theory, it sounds like it could work... but sounds like it would be
expensive to test to find the optimum width. I doubt many tire retailers
would take back the partially used ones that didn't work quite right. ;-)

Ian Pitts
'81 Scirocco FSP
http://www.detn8.org/Rocco/