Re: New Stock Classes

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Stock Classes
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <pullg@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:12:51 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Sean Minehart <mr_two_2001@yahoo.com>

> What about Vipers [in SS]?  They should be up there.

As national-level threats to Z06 'Vettes?  Or even M Coupes and RX-7s?
I've seen some drivers make 'em dance very nicely, but they still strike me
as a bit unwieldly for an autocross course.  Solo I or road racing would be
a different story.

> Shouldn't the S2000 be classed here [AS] since it isn't
> anywhere else? Also, I know they are waiting to class
> it, but the Boxster S should go here too.

Those are wild cards -- if they go to AS, add them to the 'Vette threat.  If
they go to SS, have them chasing Z06s with the rest.

> 4th gen non-VTEC Preludes are in HS.

GS:  Honda:  Prelude (92+) NOC.  Or in clearer terms, the 4th generation
('92-'96) Prelude Si, which is the only NOC Prelude on the list (makes you
wonder why they bothered).  DOHC H23A1 (fixed-cam) engine.  Good match for
the class -- as would be the VTEC Preludes, which have the same suspension
and aren't significantly faster on an autocross course, since the H22A VTEC
engine pumps out exactly the same torque and the extra power is all way up
on the high end of the tach -- makes a difference in road racing, but tough
to stay in that band on an autocross course.  I suspect they'll return from
DS within a year.

You're right, though -- the '92-'96 Prelude S is also non-VTEC, and it's
down in HS.

> That's 4th gen civics.

I'm always miscounting those. :)  The late '80s cars.

> And the only 4-cyl MX-6 here are the 1st gen, never seen one autocross but
can't
> imagine them being too fast.

You're right!  I was thinking the newer cars, which did quite well in HS
several years ago, but those are now in GS with their V6 brethren -- how did
*that* happen?!

> I think the top cars in this class are the 4th and 5th gen Civic Si and
the
> BMW 318, possibly the 4th gen Prelude S or a RWD Corolla GTS.

Definitely the Civics.  If the BMW has a limited-slip, then it's in --
otherwise, it's not quite there.  The '91 318is that did so well a few years
back is up in GS.  The Corolla's an interesting choice -- could be something
there.  The 4th gen Prelude S isn't even close -- I think you're confusing
it with the Si.  The S runs the single-cam engine from the Accord, which
puts out less power to move more weight than the 3d gen ('88-'91),
especially the'90-'91 2.1-liter cars.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing