Re: Power tank ? opinons please?

To: "Wilson, Lindsay" <lindsay.wilson@intel.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Power tank ? opinons please?
From: "Tom Holt" <tholt@ccsi.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:06:43 -0500
    I've been using a 20 or 25 lb CO2 tank for years. I get it refilled
about twice a year for about $9 a refill. This is just a generic scuba tank
sized bottle, not a fancy "powertank". I bought a $50 80PSI fixed pressure
regulator and if the math is correct, it will run an impact wrench for 45
minutes continuously. In reality it would probably go a lot longer, because
there is a pretty big pressure drop once you pull the trigger. If you were
to use Nitrogen, the pressure stays constant since there is no liquid to gas
conversion time. I would reccommend at least a 100 or 120 psi reg if I were
to try again.
    A plain tank at the local welding supply would probably cost about $150
if you were to buy one. Many places will rent them for about $5-$7 per
month, plus you have to buy a regulator. You would have to rig up some sort
of a cage to protect the valve, but that can be done pretty cheaply...

Tom