Backer of Racer Jackie Stewart Dies

To: Teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Backer of Racer Jackie Stewart Dies
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:36:21 -0400
August 25, 2001

Backer of Racer Jackie Stewart Dies
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 10:07 a.m. ET

LONDON (AP) -- Ken Tyrrell, who launched Jackie Stewart's racing career in
the 1960s and founded the Tyrrell team in 1970, died after an illness, his
family said Saturday. He was 77.

Stewart, a three-time Formula One champion and TV commentator, said Tyrrell
gave him his first chance to drive a single-seat race car, in Formula 3 in
1964. Stewart raced for Tyrrell until 1973.

``My heart is deeply saddened by the passing of a great friend,'' Stewart
said. ``Ken was the most important person in my life outside my family.
Without Ken Tyrrell, I would not be where I am today.

``His influence on my driving career was enormous. He was so much more than
the team owner and team manager. Ken was like a father. He taught me, he
coached me, he pushed and shoved me. We argued and we laughed,'' Stewart
said.

The Tyrrell Racing Organization was bought out by British American Racing in
November 1997, and Tyrrell retired from the sport in February 1998.

Information on survivors and funeral arrangements were not immediately
available.

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
spacer.gif]