re: Kumho -vs- Yokohama

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Kumho -vs- Yokohama
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:56:02 -0400 (EDT)
Bob Pariza <bpariza@excite.com> wrote...
> Does anyone have experience with both the Kuhmo and the Yokohama tires
> on something like a Camaro, and an opinion on which is better for that
> application?
>
> I'm not ready to spend yet, but I am interested in hearing what others
> like or think works best.  I was told that the Yokohama A032Rs were a
> better choice if I was going to 'commute' to events on them.
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

   I have Kumhos on our Toyota MR2 and the Yokohamas on our Mazda RX-7,
neither of which are anything like a Camaro ;)

   The Kumhos are faster, of course, and less expensive.  On the other
hand, the Kumhos are not used on the street and the A032Rs have 3 or so
thousand miles on them now.  For a tire that will last 10 or more thousand
street miles, the A032Rs are not nearly as bad as some people will say.  I
think the biggest difference is that the Kumhos heat up much faster; on a
race track with equal temperatures, I bet they'd be even.

   FWIW, the first time I autocrossed on the Yokohamas I drove an
uncompetitive, stock car and was in the middle-of-the-pack overall on
index, about 10% behind FTD.  They can't be that bad, it was only my third
time in that car, and I'm not very good anyway.

   You won't win a National Championship on them, but you can go fast
without bringing a floorjack and four extra tires with you.

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com