Re: Fw: CA Special Alert

To: nokones@kenmitchell.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: CA Special Alert
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:55:06 EDT
In a message dated 8/10/01 9:19:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nokones@kenmitchell.com writes:
<< Ah, let me know what the outcome is if you elect to try that approach
 with an officer.
  "Michael R. Clements" wrote:

 > Kenneth,
  > Nice reference but. . .
  > Refusing to grant one's permission, in the absence of any physical
 > resistance, does not resist, delay or obstruct the officer in his duties.
 > Thus PC 148 should not apply.
  > However, while refusing to grant permission does not physically impair the
 > officer from doing whatever it is he wants to do, it does make him think
 > twice about doing it, which is usually enough.
 >  >>

Ken - Another approach for the driver of a car that would NOT ordinarily be
subject to any emission test (That was the original thread, right?) would be
to turn off the engine and refuse to start it for a roadside "search and
seizure" test. Or just say "It won't start!" It might mean a AAA call for a
tow. But it would beat some indescriminate testing where none is specified. I
draw a thick line between the CHP and the CARB. The CARB has become the
lackies of the big industrial polluters and their donation-dollar interests.
I am not suggesting non-compliance with a legitimate peace officer request. -
Seth