Re: Tire Trailer

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire Trailer
From: Mike Lowe <mikelowe@pointecom.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 01:25:25 -0500
At 05:23 PM 6/5/2001 +0000, Arthur Emerson wrote:

>The popular trick here is to make
>two vertical spindles out of threaded pipe and flanges,
>and stack two tires over each spindle.

         I use 5/8" allthread from a hardware store.  I have some pics of
my tire trailer
here:  http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=869586&a=12772018&f=0
.  Go to the bottom.
         The advantage of using allthread is that extra allthread and some
couple nuts allows for unlimited tire capacity.  I also have to use them to
carry anything wider than 205s.  I also drilled holes on both ends so I can
place locks through them for security.

>My next installment will be owning a tire trailer and
>living in an apartment with no garage, and it will include
>designing a trailer that disassembles in 5 minutes and
>can be carried inside through a 4' hallway.....

         Been there, done that.  I have casters on the rear of the
trailer.  I have rolled my trailer into my apartment.  I have also stored
the trailer vertically in a 5' x 5' storage room.  Now I keep it in storage
with whichever Miata I'm not driving.  Mom kept bugging me about having a
trailer inside my apartment.  :-)  I need a house with a garage SO bad.

         One thing to consider with the bolt-together trailers is joint
stiffness or lack of it.  I am concerned with the trailer having metal
fatigue at the bolted joints.  Jim Hedderick's trailer died that way.  If I
ever build a trailer again, I'll weld it together after bolting.  I'm
thinking of bringing my trailer to work with a 12-pack and having a couple
of the guys improve it during lunch.

Mike Lowe
96 Miata R
94 Miata Turbo