Forward: Re: A way to reduce some classes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Forward: Re: A way to reduce some classes
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:31:19 -0600 (MDT)
For some reason, this was sent to me rather than autox@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:27:01 -0700 (PDT)
     From: Jeff Brown <typer_801@yahoo.com>
     Subject: Re: A way to reduce some classes

For once, and I almost hate to admit it, I think I'm
in agreement with where Dennis is going on this ;-)
The current class structure is in need of some work
and while I'm not competely sure this is the right way
to consolidate and rejuvenate some of the SP classes,
it is an interesting idea and I think something like
this might work.

In my short experience with the SCCA, I've noticed the
SP classes are older cars and the more current late
model cars are not entering them as Dennis stated
(w/the obvious exception of ESP).  While I believe a
median car age of 5-15 years is probably ideal
considering the financial resources and time to needed
to develop them, I don't really see newer cars being
prepped to become SP cars.  ESP cars and the new Z06
Vette are the exceptions, but otherwise that's just
not happening.

Also look at the typical car a local SCCA region
member might drive and it's certainly not a SP or
Prepared car, but more like a ST or SM car.  Those
classes are becoming increasingly popular and their
participation at local, divisional, and national
events is increasing dramatically too.  At our last
local fun event we had 80 entrants.  21 of those were
ST or SM cars.  That's quite a chunk and it will
continue to grow.

That's also where the contigency dollars are going.
The club (SCCA) has to evolve to follow the current
trends.  With greater participation at the local level
in certain classes, it's inevitable that those will be
the future dominant classes nationally. Trust me, I'm
somewhat new to all of this and I'd definitely be in
ST if my car were legal there, but unfortunately it
isn't.

In any event, I just don't see the current SP class
structure enticing or encouraging new driver's to
enter them.  The cars are too old and too developed
for the typical autocrosser today wanting to go to the
next level and aren't representative of the types of
cars most of us drive.

While I understand the concern of someone losing their
class, some sort of consolidation and/or
re-organization needs to take place to insure the
future wants and desires of the club are met.  Just my
perspective from a set of fresh eyes.

Regards,
Jeff Brown
98 Type R #801