re: best roadster?

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: best roadster?
From: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:48:16 -0400
I tend to agree with Mark. . .  You need to be a bit more specific.  Since
this is an autocross list, I assume that you are asking which is the best
autocross car.

Well, evidence is that the Porsche Boxster S is the fastest, as Rob Falkner
co-drives one now.  The regular Boxster is also quite fast.  But these are
quite, quite, quite expensive.  Seems to me that the list price (which
Robert Houser, owner of said Boxster S, just told me) is $49k.  But, being
a Porsche, for that price you get a wood box filled with parts, and four
wheels on top. . .  Tires, coolant, spare, etc. are all add-ons. (grin, but
still mostly serious)  One was recently advertised in Atlanta in large
dealer ad for $74k.

My car is probably the next fastest - a BMW M Roadster.  Like a Z3 on
steroids.  Fast, but you need to spend a bit of money to get it fast (in
stock class).  But then if you begrudge a few thousand dollars, stop
reading.  An underdog in SS this year, but will be quite good in AS next
year, assuming that the change goes through.  I LOVE my car.  No longer
made, waiting for new engine - Spring/Summer.  Hard to say how much faster
that version will be.  Waiting lists are a year or two long.

Then I would go for a Miata.  I owned a '92 for 6 years.  Still tell people
that it is one of the best designed, best built cars ever made.

The S2000 seems to be a very hard car to drive fast.  I have seen a number
autocrossed, but only one was fast as I recall.

Chris Eckles
White M Roadster
Pink & White 1960 Metropolitan Convertible  (a less modern roadster)

Which roadster is best all around? Miata, Z3, S2000, MR2 Spyder?

<