Ft. Worth Tour speeds

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ft. Worth Tour speeds
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:37:52 -0500
As yet another entrant in the event and one who is always
concerned with event safety, let me add my $.02: there were no -
I repeat, NO - safety issues with the courses at this event.
Neither absolute speeds nor course features created any hazards
that exceeded the strictest possible interpretation of what is
acceptable for a Solo II event.

Maximum speeds did not exceed the stated upper limits for Stock
or SP vehicles, the fastest portions of the course were also the
most remote from spectators and property, and there were no fixed
obstacles of any description within 200 feet or more of any
portion of the course. There were also, IMHO, no features that
would be likely to cause a rollover, although this issue is
admittedly more of a judgement call.

Over the past 13 years, I have seen (and taken issue with)
several unsafe Solo II course designs. The courses at the Tour
were not by any stretch of the imagination in that category, and
I did not hear a single entrant make any reference to course
safety. If there were any such concerns, I am certain that John
Lieberman or Howard would have been happy to hear them at the
event. Now that the (incident-free) weekend is history, safety
concerns about the event are, by definition, moot.

Jay