Re: Speed Creep!

To: "Brad Cox" <COXB@tmfhs.org>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speed Creep!
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:48:53 -0500
Good point.  Notice however that the wording of the rule makes it "self-
adjusting".  It is not specific regarding the actual car used or speed
measured.  It should cause course designers to adjust for current
technology and hignway speeds.

I have my own opinion, and I'm not arguing one way or the other, but how
many people do not live near a freeway that has a posted speed of 65 or 70
MPH?

> Something to consider... how much 'speed creep' is being caused by the
cars themselves and not necessarily course design.  The new Z06 vette and
the Honda S2000 are not good "stock" class cars to do speed comparisons on
IMO.  A lot of stock class cars are getting faster, but they're also
getting safer.  Some of them are so optimized in stock trim that it's
difficult to squeeze more performance out of them in SP.  Personally, I
believe event statistics are the best guidlines.  Accidents have always
happened and always will, but we need acceptable levels.  Are last years
levels or this year's acceptable?  I don't have a clue.  But, if the SCCA
bosses and safety people think they are then I guess we're ok.

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer
Wausau, WI