Re: Hypocrites

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>, "Team.Net"
Subject: Re: Hypocrites
From: William Loring <bloring@tirerack.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:01:21 -0800
Paul,

I feel for you regarding the loss of your friend. However, I still stand by
my opinions of composite materials. Fiberglass, and what we commonly know as
3carbon fiber2 are worlds apart. Yes, they both use woven strands suspended
in resin (did someone call it 3rags and glue2?), but it9s really only a
visual similarity. This is why I was looking for someone more adept (and
qualified) at explaining these materials than I.

If I had to choose between a fiberglass seat and a well-designed aluminum
one, I might make the same choice as you. But truly advanced composites are
a world away from common fiberglass. You can make 3carbon fiber2 like the
stuff you see in the import tuner catalogs for dash inserts. I9d no more
make a racing seat like that, than I9d build one out of cardboard. However,
put composites in the hands of an expert (like F1 car designers, for
example), and they can make structures of astounding strength. Or they can
make things of good strength, and incredibly light weight. It9s all in the
design and materials, and IMO composites give you greater design flexibility
than aluminum can. In this case, it9s not about the weight, it9s about
making something that fits, and is very strong.

Now for the apology part: I9m sorry that you may have been offended by my
claim that there was misinformation being posted on team.net.* I should have
toned down my original comments. In that sense, perhaps there was some
hypocrisy. However, I stand by my original opinions.

I agree, crash data (and crash testing) from all the race series is a fine
idea.

Of course, none of this will make someone fasten their seatbelt, or make
sure that it9s installed properly in the first place. Sigh.

Regards,

William Loring

(* there9s a straight line, if I9ve ever heard one.)