Re: Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum
From: William Loring <bloring@tirerack.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:34:02 -0800
Can someone who actually knows and works with composites make some
intelligent comments about this? There's lots of misinformation floating
around here.

Although I am not an engineer, I have worked with composite engineers, and
have seen many failure modes for the material. When properly designed, and
used in conjunction with materials like Spectra, or Kevlar, composite
structures can be made that _will_not_shatter_. Shatter resistance is built
into composites as deemed necessary by the intended use of the piece.
Judging what will happen to a properly designed race seat by watching what
happens to composite a-arms in a crash is a big mistake. The two pieces have
vastly different design parameters and construction materials/techniques.

It is my opinion that a properly designed composite seat could be made for
NASCAR that would be far safer and more comfortable than the current
aluminum seats.

Regards,

William Loring