re: Tire sizes for BMW 330i

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Tire sizes for BMW 330i
From: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:21:27 -0500
Your car has similar sized wheels (mine are 9" in rear), and the same size
tires as mine does, stock.  You are allowed to put any size tires on your
stock sized wheels in stock class.  So I autocross with 245/40 in front and
275/40 in rear tires (Hoosiers).

Going to same sized tires all around might help you reduce some of the
understeer your car undoubtedly has.  My autocross philosophy is to run the
biggest tires that will fit.  The downside is that at some larger size,
your car will have less oomph, less acceleration.  Since I can still spin
the rear tires at will, I haven't reached that point.  Your car has a nice
engine, but maybe not that nice. . .   So 245's all around might be a good
thing to try.

Another issue is fitting in the wheel well.  I have to use a 5mm spacer and
longer lug bolts up front, to fit the 245's.  Otherwise they run on the
strut tower.

Cars like ours have larger rear tires to accelerate better.  Plus it looks
sportier.  Looks may be more important.

Chris Eckles
White M Roadster
Atlanta

>The stock rims on my 330i are staggered.  They're 225/45 (7.5" wide) in
front and 245/40 (8.5" wide) in back.  Is there any way I can have the same
sized tires all around and remain in G Stock?  If not, what would be the
best way to offset the disadvantage (if there is indeed a disadvantage) of
having larger tires in back?

Thanks,
Young
01<