advice - emod project

To: "autox@autox.team.net, autox@autox.team.net, team.net"
Subject: advice - emod project
From: Doug Miller <drmiller100@home.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 23:14:08 -0700
At 09:05 PM 2/9/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Keith Ickes <kickes@IR.ColoState.EDU>
>Subject: Advice
>
>First, does anyone know whether the racefab listserv is alive and well?
>and, if so, where it is now located?

i was subscribed for years. I fell off about 6 months ago, but hadn't seen
much come across in the past 2 years.

>Second, I want to start a new project aiming toward an E-mod car. Aiming
>in the sense that I start with the right basics and upgrade the power as
>I go along. I am thinking of something on the order of a Lotus
>7/Westfield - at least that size.

hmmm.

>My question relates to options for the rear uprights. I want the car to
>have IRS and I am going to start with a Subaru/Datsun rear diferential
>with limited slip (a very inexpensive beginning). What rear uprights
>would work well for a home constructed IRS suspension layout (home
>constructed with the help of a local race car constructor)? I have used
>Triumph GT6 uprights on a previous project, machined to take larger
>bearings. Someone suggested uprights from a 280Z (but I thought they had
>rear struts?).

some folks take the z-car rears and hack off the strut towers and weld on
places
to mount heim joints. Then you can use the z-car rear diff, half shafts,
bearings, and
zx rear discs and have a cheap simple but heavy rear solution.

IMHO a better start would be the mazda gleason irs.
If you are serious though, I have an R190 Detroit Locker for sale with
5.12 gears (don't argue - I really have one).

>For starters, I will have 13" X 7" to 8" rear wheels.

skinny rubber.

>Any suggestions from those with more experience/knowledge?

I'm building a DSR car.
-Doug Miller
71 240z with 350 chevy - wanna race????????