silicone Re: rust preventative coatings

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: silicone Re: rust preventative coatings
From: "CJ at Pylon" <pylon@pylon.cc>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:47:52 -0600
Wouldn't silicone be a good rust prevention application?  being that
there is a underwire discussion, and a few silicone messages as
well....  these really all tie together, and I don't think it would take a
bra to keep it all together.

Cj "it's just a joke" Hammond

On 7 Feb 2001, at 18:29, Phil Ethier wrote:

>I had some Rust
>Converter by Plasti-Kote out in the garage.  It's a milky off-white
>paint that dries jet black.  This stuff works by "bonding with and
>chemically changing the oxided metal into an inert compound.  It
>halts and prevents further rusting.  The final surface will have a
>rock hard black epoxy type of coating that can be sanded, primed
and
>painted as any other surface."
>
>There's a similar product out there called POR-15 (Paint Over
Rust).

No, they are not similar.  POR-15 is a very good, and pretty darn
toxic, paint.  It is not a converter.

I've never have a bit of luck with converters.  POR-15, on the other
hand, has worked well for me.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962
Triumph TR4
CT2846L LOON, MAC   pethier@isd.net
http://www.mnautox.com/ "It
makes a nice noise when it goes faster" - 4-year-old Adam, upon
seeing
a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.

http://www.pylon.cc/
Pylon.CC Racing Forums