Sunoco Race Fuels (WAS: SCCA Convention News)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Sunoco Race Fuels (WAS: SCCA Convention News)
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:55:09 -0500
John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>

> Sunoco racing fuel ranks right up there with Unical 76 and CAM-2.

Sunoco race gas is not bad, but I've found the quality varies somewhat from
place to place - quite possibly as a function of how long it's been sitting
in the pump.

The Sunoco at Norwalk is infamous for being a little "off", but the Sunoco
at Heartland Park is pretty good.

Incidently, race gas sites for the Solo world:

- Peru, IN: The Citgo 300m south of the water tower carries Union 76 100
unleaded, seasonally (they put kero in the pump in the winter) Price is
actually not bad, although 100 is a little low for race gas, so I normally
mix a can of Super 104+ per 5 gallons. Note that the pump nozzle is a
"leaded" gas nozzle, so it won't fit in an unleaded filler cap.

- Petersburg, VA: Turn right as you exit the gate, roughly a km down the
road on the left is a place that sells Turbo Blue, which is a 106 leaded (I
believe).

- Meridian, MS: if you come off the highway and turn the wrong way, there's
a gas station in there somewhere that sells Turbo Blue. Stumbled across it
by accident....

- Topeka, KS: Heartland Park sells Sunoco, who make a 104 unleaded, a 106
leaded, and a 112 leaded. Call the track ahead of time to set up an
appointment - cash at the pump. There's also a race shop about 15 miles on
the far side of town (run in a guy's basement) that sells Torco.

DG