in car cam

To: ax-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: in car cam
From: "Marc Smith" <marcs@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 08:24:01 -0500
Hi all

I have a 94 Impala thatI run in ESP.  I have a sony Hi 8 that I mounted.  I
took the lid off of the center console adn installed a threaded galvinized 1"
flange in  the bottom (which also mounts to the console mounting points on the
tranny hump).  I then baught 18" galvinized steel pipe.  On one end i used PVC
fittings to mount the swivel head of a tripod, so I stillhave up/down right/left
adjustenmt.  When I want to use the camera I sccrep the pipe into the flange,
thenm moount the camera.  Take about 5 minutes and only cost 5 bucks  for parts
and one "donor" tripod, so i would not ruin my good one.  The other nice thing
is that once you have the flange mounted  Its a perm. mount and mine is easy
to conceal.  I imagine you could drill into the floorboard or hump of the car
and do it that way as well

I leave the image stabilization ON and It seesm to work fine.  when i watch
the vids  I can see the body roll on the car, looks pretty bad BTW.

No matter how many time it happens  there is always something fun about watching
a video in which cones suddenly start traveling right/left across the screen,
accomapanied with  a four lettered expletive and the howling of tires in
protest.

Marc Smith
mailto:marcs@i95.com