ecu/pcm mods per SP and STS Rules

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: ecu/pcm mods per SP and STS Rules
From: Jester097@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:34:03 EST
Ok, there is a new product coming out for my car (saturns) and i'm of
question as to the legality of it in SP/STS classes.  Its a little black box
(works by magic) and modifies the signal inputs to the pcm to tune the A/F
ratio of the engine to gain power (albiet it ought to be done on a dyno).
The rule is thus:

Engine management computer or ECU may be altered, but car must meet federal
emissions standards.

Would this black box (similar to the Venom400 control module, if any of you
know about it, which is a $300 paperweight anyways) be legal?   The PCM for
saturns is not modifiable, as it stands now - we do not have the 'code' to
unlock the parameters and logic of the Saturn OBD-I (OBD-II is even worse),
and is tightly held on to by GM/Saturn, and the likelyhood of modifying the
PCM logic to achieve the desired results is very slim.   Would this ECU mod
be legal in SP/STS?

-Ryan